My second Bridge Day . . . rappelling the New River Gorge Bridge (876 feet). Some interesting facts about the Bridge —
• Longest steel arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere with a 1,700’ span
• Second highest bridge in the United States at 876’
• The bridge length is 3,030’
• The deck width is 69 feet 4 inches
• Total bridge weight is 88,000,000 lbs.
My first Bridge Day in West Virginia! Bridge Day is the largest one-day festival in West Virginia. On the third Saturday in October, they close down the bridge to traffic and open it up to rappellers and BASE jumpers to have fun on the 876-foot tall structure!
The New River Gorge Bridge is the world’s third longest steel arch bridge with a main span of 1,700 feet. At 876 feet above the New River, the New River Gorge Bridge is the third highest bridge in the United States and the thirteenth highest bridge in the world.